Staff Attorney—Eviction Defense
Kitsap Legal Services
PO Box 1446, Bremerton, WA 98337
Job Title: Staff Attorney, Eviction Defense
Job Type: Full-time salaried position
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Start Date: May 1, 2022
Kitsap Legal Services is a non-profit organization that provides free legal services to low-income individuals in Kitsap County, Washington.
Washington recently enacted RCW 59.18.650 and became the first state in the nation to create a right to counsel for indigent tenants in Unlawful Detainer proceedings. Kitsap Legal Services is hiring a Staff Attorney to represent tenants in Kitsap County Superior Court as appointed by the court. The Staff Attorney will join the Managing Attorney and Legal Assistant/Paralegal in carrying out the objectives of this new legislation.
· Provide full, direct client representation at all posy-summons stages of Unlawful Detainer proceedings, including trials, and appeals;
· Prepare and manage a high-volume caseload requiring frequent negotiations with opposing parties and court appearances;
· Develop and maintain relationships with opposing counsel, the court, and local stakeholders;
· Participate in trainings and CLEs regarding housing law and other relevant topics;
· Utilize case management and timekeeping systems and comply with all applicable regulatory requirements and reporting needs.
· Licensed to practice law in Washington;
· Knowledge of Washington housing law, or a commitment to learn this specialized field;
· Litigation and direct client management experience;
· Demonstrated experience working directly with low-income clients, individuals from diverse ethnic, cultural, and socio-economic backgrounds, survivors of domestic violence or sexual assault, or individuals from historically marginalized and oppressed communities (preferred);
· Established commitment to working with marginalized and oppressed communities;
· Demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively with others;
· Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Zoom, LegalServer or other case management software;
· Proof of COVID-19 vaccinations.
Send a letter of interest, resume’, and three professional references to Hiring@KitsapLegalServices.org. Priority given to applications received by April 18.